Saturday, February 19, 2011

Weekend Whimsy: Life in Florida - CRITTERS!

If you live in Florida, you soon learn that you must share your state with the Wildlife.  Our temperate climate makes our panhandle and peninsula optimal habitats for a whole lot of CRITTERS!

We (Suzanne and I) live in North Central Florida.  About 60 miles SW of Jacksonville and 25 miles W of St. Augustine.  My drive to St. Augustine takes me through potato and cabbage fields and the Ocala National Forest is just 10 miles S of Palatka.  So you are getting an idea of how, from time to time, we come in contact with Wildlife.

We live very near the St. Johns River and on several occasions we have discovered Alligators in the neighborhood.
This is our neighbor Allen.  He is from South Dakota originally.  A true Floridian would NOT have taped the Gator's mouth shut.

In the fall, Banana Spiders spin their webs everywhere.  Since we begin having foggy mornings in the fall, the Banana Spider's webs will glisten in the mist and are really quite beautiful to see.
My husband David is an avid hunter.  A few years ago, I urged him to take a camera with him in his tree stand because he would tell me of all the wildlife he would see during the day.
Black Bears - these are currently on the endangered species list but are making quite a comeback.
Of course Whitetail Deer.....this was either a Doe or a Buck too young to shoot.
How about some Wild Turkeys?  These guys are notorious for spooking so it's amazing that David got this great photo.
Feral Hogs are a real problem in Florida.  For a while, David was specially licensed by the Water Management District to hunt these animals.

North Florida is known for it's fresh water springs.  The springs maintain a constant 72 degrees F temperature year round.  Now, if we are having a particularly cold winter, and the St. Johns River cools down to below 72 degrees F, the Manatees start looking for these relatively warmer fresh water springs.

A few years ago, the Manatees were congregating in Orange Springs State Park near Deland.  We took advantage of the occasion to meet up with my Sister, Mother and Nieces for a wonderful photo opp!  The Park Rangers estimated there were 166 Manatees in the Spring that day!

These Critters happen to be my Mum and Nieces!

I hope you've enjoyed a little taste of Florida Wildlife.  I love living here and for the most part I enjoy my encounters with the Wildlife.........however, I don't do Snakes.

Stay tuned for some more Weekend Whimsies:  Life in Florida

Have a Great Weekend!



3 comments:

  1. Stunning photos! It's amazing the variety of wildlife you see there! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cool photos!! LOVE THEM! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Great photos! I've never taken a photo of the wildlife we have around here. Allegedly there are river otters within a few miles of my house, but I've never seen one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails